In NYC, everyone's fabulousness translate!

Sunday

Shopping 101

Whether it's shopping in upscale Madison Avenue or the bargain-friendly Lower East Side, the Big Apple offers everything for everybody. However, before going shopping in NYC, there are a few things you should have in mind that most outsiders don't know.

In my opinion, the most important information is regarding taxes. New York is a shopper's paradise; you can find anything and everything in the many stores throughout the city and now you can shop TAX FREE in NYC on clothing and shoes priced under $110.

For anything else, or prices over $110, the tax rate is 8,25%. That means that if you are buying a 100$ mobile phone, total final price would be 108,25$.

Get early to the stores! As early as possible. That will guarantee you good options, sizes and colors.

Most stores are open from Monday to Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Department stores and outlets stay open until 9 p.m., as well as on Sundays.

Chinatown is always nice to visit, but not to shop, as you never know the true (or even legal) origin of the products.

If you are not comfortable with shopping by yourself at NYC, you can always join one of NY's shopping tours.

Another very good tip is to register at the store's website, this way you will get discount coupons by e-mail.

Although NY is the most expensive place to live in the world, shopping is the complete opposite. And there are ways to always pay less than the price tag says. ;-)

6 comments:

peter said...

hey tht was a nice post ..but u din elaborate one the ways of paying less than the original price as u said in ur last line !!

and when u wrote 108,25$ i thought OMG how can u get a thng wrth 100 $ in almost 100 times more the taxes gonna kill ...u shud hav written 108.25$ i guess :)

btw a nice captivating blog !!

hasHAN hazaRIKA said...

You are a shopping freak I guess...heh heh.. Never mind.. cool information!!
Keep posting..

Mel Harkin said...

Hey Peter, thanks for dropping by at my blog.

Your blog is quite interesting. Will come back more times. ;-)
I liked the music. Good taste!

To answer your queries:

- Registering on the website is the way to pay less than the price tag, cause you get discount coupons by e-mail.

- As per 108,25$ - I'm a brazilian, and as such, and western as well, I use "," and "." differently than indians. It's not like writing lakh or crore, so 108,25 stands for one hundred and eith dollars and twenty five cents.

Come back more times.
Take Care,
Mel.

Mel Harkin said...

Hashan, thanks for dropping by at my blog.
And yes, I do shop a lot, but mostly clothes and shoes. When it comes to that, NYC is way cheaper than Brazil, that's the reason.

Your blog is superd. I will come back more often. Lovely writing!
You should check my texts in my other blog, some times I adventure myself in writing. Just check the tag "texts" or "poetry" - www.mel-brazil.blogspot.com

Take care.
Mel

Arjun said...

I stumbled onto ur blog by chance....
Anyway, good tips for shopping ....
Maybe someday when I come to NYC I'll call u for the latest shopping tips then... ;) lolz..

Keep Writing...

Cheers..!!
Arjun

Mel Harkin said...

Hey Arjun, thanks for dropping by at my blog. You're blog is awesome, so nice to find a place with grate books reviews. I will come back more often. Meanwhile, feel free to check my other blog as well: http://mel-brazil.blogspot.com

Take care.
Mel